[Rd] R-2.15.2 changes in computation speed. Numerical precision?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 14 10:59:42 CET 2012

    PJ> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Yi (Alice) Wang <yi.wang at unsw.edu.au> wrote:
    >> I have also encountered a similar problem. My mvabund package runs much
    >> faster on linux/OSX than on windows with both R/2.15.1 and R/2.15.2. For
    >> example, with mvabund_3.6.3 and R/2.15.2,
    >> system.time(example(anova.manyglm))
    >>

    PJ> Hi, Alice

    PJ> You have a different problem than I do.

    PJ> The change from R-2.15.1 to R-2.15.2 makes the program slower on all
    PJ> platforms.  The slowdown that emerges in R-2.15.2 on all types of
    PJ> hardware concerns me.

    PJ> It only seemed like a "Windows is better" issue when all the Windows
    PJ> users who tested my program were using R-2.15.0 or R-2.15.1. As soon
    PJ> as they update R, then they have the slowdown as well.

Paul, I'm pretty sure you are right that it is not just your package.
Rather, the NEWS for R 2.15.2  contain

    • The included LAPACK has been updated to 3.4.1, with some patches
      from the current SVN sources.  (_Inter alia_, this resolves
      PR#14692.)

and as I got from your e-mails --- yes, a reproducible example
(without package Amelia) would have been (and would still be)
 really enlightening ---
indeed,  "the default tolerance" (in a vague sense) of detecting
(near)singularity may well have been tightened in the newer LAPACK.

Martin