[Rd] Rtools for building 64 bit windows packages

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Thu Apr 22 21:04:07 CEST 2010

Hello R developers,

I sincerely apologize if the answer to this question is clearly documented
somewhere, but I was unable to figure it out over my morning coffee.

I just downloaded today's release of R 2.11.0 and installed it on my Windows
7 64 bit VM.  I also downloaded the latest version of Rtools211 from
Professor Murdoch's site.   The first thing I attempted to do was build some
of my packages from source to check that they work with the new version.  I
got the following error message:

  making DLL ...
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-211~1.0-X/include"         -O2
-Wall  -std=gnu99 -c tikzDevice.c -o tikzDevice.o
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc: not found

This does not surprise me, R 2.11.0 is hot out of the forge and Rtools
probably hasn't been repacked to support the 64 bit version.  I gathered
from the Windows FAQ and the list archives that the MinGW-w64 project
supplies the compilers and linkers used by the 64 bit version- I visited
their site and found the selection of packages available for download...
confusing.

I guess what I'm asking:

  * Do I use the Cygwin binaries?

  * If not, is there an officially "blessed" binary distribution of Windows
x86_64 compilers and binutils?

  * If not, do I build the x86_64 toolchain from the current HEAD, or is
there a specific revision that has been determined to be stable?

Thanks for your time and effort on maintaining and enhancing such a
wonderful language!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University