[Rd] Problem building (binary) packages for Windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 16 16:19:29 CEST 2009

On Sat, 16 May 2009, Martin Maechler wrote:

> [.............]
>
>    >> Thank you for clarifying this and once again apologies for stirring you
>    >> up with something that had been fixed in the mean-time already.
>
>    UweL> For R-devel, it is in the svn logs. Since it may change again, NEWS is
>    UweL> not always edited while things are tested.
>
> well, and if a new feature is introduced, it gets a NEWS entry
> (hopefully), but if the new feature contains bugs, these will be
> fixed of course with*OUT* another NEWS entry.
>
> Indeed, the NEWS apply to (eventually) released versions of R,
> so fixing transient bugs is *never* documented in NEWS.
>
> ... leading us back to what Brian already said:
>  >>  'Under development' needs to be taken seriously.

This was a Windows-only issue, so the final version was reported in
the May 1 entry in src/gnuwin32/CHANGES, not NEWS:

     o   Rcmd INSTALL --build in 2.9.0 did not make _bundles_ in the
         format install.packages() expected.

[When I looked that was missing from the RSS feed for R-devel, so
perhaps another message is to look at the NEWS/CHANGES files
directly.]

As far as I can see from the svn logs, the first attempt at a fix was
on April 25 and that was changed to the more successful current
solution on April 27 (well over two weeks ago, _pace_ claims earlier
in the thread).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk