[Rd] Computing minimal detectable differences for general ANOVA models

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 16 17:30:54 CET 2008

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Ali Baharev wrote:

> Dear Developers,
>
> I would like to contribute to the R Project.
>
> I implemented a C function the can be used to calculate minimal
> detectable differences for general ANOVA models (sample size
> calculations, power analysis).
>
> A demo program and the source code is available from my website:
>
> http://reliablecomputing.eu/ncbeta.html
>
> What should i do in order to make my ncbeta function part of the R
> project source distribution?

Everyone can contribute code as a package: code in the source distribution
is by members of R-core only, including in a few cases code they choose to
adopt (with permission) from others.  Most importantly, R-core has to
commit to maintenance of such code indefinitely, and these days we are
very reluctant to do so.

> Probably the most troublesome parts of my code are those where error
> may occur, i do not know much about the proper error handling in R.

So you need to find out before distributing a package.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk