[Rd] Linux installation

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu May 8 22:17:13 CEST 2008

on 05/08/2008 10:39 AM Michael Steinbeck-Reeves wrote:
> I have just installed R under Linux and had a tricky time finding out
>  that I needed to install r-devel as it was not suggested by yum and
> does not appear in any of the FAQs. Everything was fine until I tried
> to install tseries then I was told in the compiler output that R.h
> was missing. Obviously a search on Google proved fruitless and I was
> forced to ask on r-help. I am now kicking myself, of course, but
> wouldn't it be a useful addition to the R installation FAQs,
> especially for those not acquainted with the C compiler output?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

The need for the -devel RPMS is referenced in the R Installation and
Administration Manual in Appendix A and Appendix C.

yum won't pick it up because the -devel RPM is not required to run R,
which is the case BTW for most applications installed using yum on RPM
based Linux systems.

yum won't reference 'suggested RPMs', only those actually required to
run an application.

However, if you are going to be doing any compilation of source code
against an RPM installed application, you will need the -devel RPMS,
which contain the required header (.h) files, among other things. Again,
under Linux, that is the case not only with R, but generally all
applications installed in this fashion.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz