[Rd] axis() ignores supplied value of argument mgp[3]?

J. R. M. Hosking jh910 at juno.com
Mon Aug 4 04:52:50 CEST 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> What is true is that the line is set before the inline setting of mgp is
> processed: it all depends on what 'supplied' means, and you supplied two
> values.
>
> This is changed in R-patched now.

Thank you, that works.  Here is a perhaps related issue:

R Help on 'axis' for argument 'line' says "The relative placing of
tick marks and tick labels is unchanged".  But this appears not to be
the case when graphics parameter mgp[3] is nonzero:

   plot(1:4, yaxt="n")
   par(mgp=c(3,2,1))
   axis(2, 1:2)
   axis(2, 3:4, line=1)

which one (or, at least, I) would expect to place all the tick labels
the same distance into the margin, does not in fact do so.

My interpretation is that axis() is taking mgp[2] rather than the
correct mgp[2]-mgp[3] as the relative position of the tick mark with
respect to the axis line.

J. R. M. Hosking

 > R.version
                _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          7.1
year           2008
month          06
day            23
svn rev        45970
language       R
version.string R version 2.7.1 (2008-06-23)