[Rd] R CMD config --cppflags buglet

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Feb 20 18:01:24 CET 2006

Simon, Markus,

On 20 February 2006 at 11:31, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| Dirk,
|
| On Feb 20, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|
| > As you asked, the two failure were gnomeGUI which has a hardcoded
| > $R_HOME/include which could get fixed, and JGR which isn't even on
| > CRAN....
|
| Thanks for pointing this out. JGR is a completely different beast and
| unfortunately it has to hard-code things, because it is not started
| via R CMD, so it doesn't know the right paths. For non-framework

Good point.

| unix, however, we can do better, because JRI now uses autoconf, so it
| can pull the paths from R at configure time.  I'll fix JRI
| correspondingly.

Right. Generally speaking, it built like a charm, very impressive. There is
other small gotcha. I used the .deb packages sun-j2se5.0-jdk-binary and
sun-j2se5.0-jre-binary which may do things differently from other JRE/JDK. In
any event JGR came with
  /usr/lib/j2se5.0-sun//bin/java -cp JGR.jar:. -Xmx512m org.rosuda.JGR.JGR $*
but the path ought to be /usr/lib/j2se5.0-sun/jre/bin/java (with an added
jre).  Not sure if this is worth worrying about.

| > JGR also calls out to /usr/lib/R/share/sh/help-links.sh which is
| > probably not a good idea given that we have that in /usr/share/R/
| > share/sh/help-links.sh instead.  Given the trouble we had in Debian
| > from calling its sibbling /usr/share/R/share/perl/build-help.pl, I
| > put in a kludge for that, but maybe we should work how JGR can get
| > this functionality via actually exported calls (as you rightly told
| > me that never that /usr/share/R/share/perl/build-help.pl was not
| > meant to be called directly).
| >

| Another hack I suspect, but I'll have to ask Markus about this one.

Can you let R's code from help.start() do the work for you?  Would be cleaner
than trying to guess where the scripts are hiding. And to Brian's point, they
shouldn't get called directly in the first place...

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison